The Greater New Orleans Health Information Exchange (GNOHIE) is a community-shared HIT infrastructure that will facilitate care coordination and chronic disease management by enhancing information and process linkages across health systems with the goal of improving the quality of care at the population level.
The GNOHIE is linked to electronic medical records and health information systems of community health clinics and hospitals, respectively, to allow seamless exchange of health information in a HIPAA-compliant, secure manner to benefit patient care while maintaining privacy and confidentialityof personal health information.
The GNOHIE will enable the following care coordination and chronic disease management scenarios and functions:
- Emergency Department (ED)/Inpatient Notification: When a provider discharges a patient from an ED/Inpatient setting to a patient’s Primary Care Provider (PCP), the HIT solution enables the notification of the patient’s PCP and the transmission of relevant clinical information from the ED/Inpatient setting to the PCP.
- Electronic Specialty Care Referral: When a provider refers a patient to specialty care, the referral requests and supporting documentation of the referring Provider is transmitted electronically to the specialist. The appointment confirmations and notifications of no shows and/or specialty consult summaries are then transmitted back to the originating provider’s EMR system, also electronically.
- Chronic Care Management (MirthCare): MirthCare provides a community with the ability to track and manage population-level health needs through community-wide disease registry functions. These registries contain built-in guidelines and algorithms to facilitate evidence-based community-defined standards and protocols and also collaborative care models among providers, care managers and patients. Additional features of this infrastructure include a complete patient history, summary views, data entry templates, shared care plans, medication data, drug interaction checks, medication reconciliation, secure internal messaging between care providers, clinical resource and patient education material libraries, task management and patient demographic data.
In addition, the GNOHIE will feature the following services:
- Clinical data repository and longitudinal record services, with linked community provider web portal
- Community Master Patient Index and Record Locator Service
- Provider directory and secure Direct Messaging
- Healthcare data warehouse, analytics, and reporting
- Nationwide Health Information Network Gateway
- Connection to the Louisiana Health Information Exchange
For more information go to www.gnohie.org